DE200 Quantitative Methods and SPSS Support Day (Manchester)
Hit the ground running with a full day dedicated to consolidating what you have learnt about quantitative research methods on DE200, and get a sneak peak at the methods yet to come !
As quantitative methods sit at the heart of two upcoming assignments (TMA02 and iCMA42) in this part of the module, it is important that you feel comfortable and confident in using these.
This study day is designed to build your confidence with experimental methods. It will help you to put what you have learned into practice, with hands-on SPSS practice and face-to-face support.
This will involve:
- Taking part in mock experimental research studies
- Learning how to input quantitative data into SPSS
- Identifying and running appropriate analyses
- Interpreting SPSS output
- Writing up research findings as part of an experimental research project
|PLEASE NOTE: This day includes practical sessions so you will need to bring your own laptop with SPSS installed.|
Professor Graham Edgar has been a tutor with the OU for many years and is a regular contributor to OUPS weekends. He currently tutors on DE200 and was an author of the Perception & Attention chapter in the previous module to this one (DSE212).
Graham is also a Professor in Psychology at the University of Gloucester where he works in the general area of cognitive psychology, with particular interests in the areas of perception and situation awareness (SA). Current research includes studies of driver behaviour and the development of techniques for measuring SA, including measuring brain activity using electroencephalography (EEG).
Our seminar will be held in
Premier Meetings Manchester Central (GMEX),
Bishopsgate 7-11 Lower Mosley Street,
Manchester M2 3DW
There is easy access to the building and to all rooms from street level.
Travel and directions
- By Car
- M6(J19), 3rd exit onto A556. Join M56 which leads onto A5103 to Medlock Street and turn right at 2nd set of traffic lights. At the next set of lights, turn left onto Oxford St. and left at St. Peter's Square junction. The hotel is on the left hand side of Lower Mosley Street.
- Parking is available at the Manchester Central (GMEX) car park nearby on Watson Street. The following rates apply:
0-2 hours £4.90
2-4 hours £8.08
4-6 hours £8.90
6-12 hours £12.3012-24 hours £15.40
- By Train
- Manchester Piccadilly is approx. 15-20 min walk
- Manchester Oxford Road is approx. 10 mins walk
Places for this seminar are limited to 22 attendees and we anticipate that these are likely to sell out.
We strongly recommend booking this event in advance and cannot guarantee that places will be available on the day.