DD303 Revision Weekend
OUPS were the first people to start offering revision weekends to help students with their exams. We have been running them now for around 40 years, so we know from experience exactly what students want and need in order to give them the knowledge and skills, as well as the confidence, to improve their exam grades. The weekend will be of benefit to all students taking this course.
Aims of the Revision Weekend
A weekend of lectures which aim to aid revision and exam technique and improve students' chances of increasing their final grade.
What does the weekend offer?
This revision weekend offers a full programme of nine talks, running from Friday evening (registration from 3pm; dinner at 6pm; evening lecture 8pm) until Sunday tea time (3.30pm). As well as covering revision of course materials and key issues and themes, the sessions also give advice on revision techniques and how to tackle the exam, as well as providing a comprehensive set of handouts to support your own revision sessions. The weekend also provides a chance to meet up with other students studying your course.
The programme will consist of 9 sessions and will include sessions covering a selection of likely exam topics.
Topics to be covered will be likely to include:
- Object and Face Recognition
- Intelligence and Cognition and Emotion
- Long term and autobiographical memory
- Working memory
- Problem Solving
- Revision and Exam Techniques
To download the complete programme click 2016 DD303 Programme.
We have a team of two tutors teaching on the course. Both tutors on the weekend are highly experienced and have been teaching on DD303 for many years.
- Jim Handley has been teaching cognitive psychology with the OU for many years and has also been a regular OU Summer school tutor. Jim is a popular OUPS revision weekend tutor and students appreciate his ability to deliver information in a stimulating and entertaining manner. He is a Chartered Occupational Psychologist, and Principal Lecturer in Psychology at the University of South Wales in the areas of Occupational Psychology, Individual Differences and Research Methods.
- Alan Pechey has been teaching OU psychology courses for over 20 years – he is a tutor for cognitive psychology [DD303] as well as E219 and DE200. He is also a popular tutor at Residential Schools and OUPS weekends. He has a masters [in cognitive development] and PhD [looking at human memory] from Cambridge University. Aside from his OU teaching, he worked as a consultant in Organisational Psychology – advising organisations [e.g. Barclaycard, Scotland Yard, local government] on how to adapt to new technology; how to change work practices etc. Alan is a very engaging speaker, with a passion for psychology and students find his extensive knowledge and enthusiasm highly motivating.
What's included ?
The OUPS DD303 Revision Weekend represents excellent value for money. The cost for the whole weekend is discounted for OUPS members and the cost includes all meals, including Friday night and Saturday night dinner. There are no extra costs involved (except for drinks at the bar!). As well as your room and all meals this includes refreshments at break times, extensive handouts which are only available to attendees, revision of all relevant chapters, advice on revision techniques and taking the exam, welcome drink on Friday night, Saturday night disco and an opportunity for one-to-one sessions. Non residential places are available at a reduced price, all meals are still included.
Some of the things previous students have said about the Revision Weekends.
"An excellent weekend - well organised, well worth the money, time and effort"
"Excellent! Enthusiastic lecturers who deepened my understanding of the course and helped me to focus on the exam."
"Very good , interesting, engaging, made me realise I knew more than I thought I did! Would definitely attend a revision weekend for future course. It has set me up to start revising with more confidence."
"I was impressed with the quality of the teaching, with how each lecturer knew their subject in such depth yet could keep it simple".
"Really helpful. Good overview of chapters and approaches to take. Very supportive lecturers, able to convey a good balance re hard work and fun and importantly their enthusiasm for their topics."
"It has given me a motivation and confidence boost, I can't think of any improvements."
"Fantastic . So happy I did it!"
"Excellent as always. I wouldn't consider sitting an exam without gong on the OUPS revision weekend."
"Sadly this will be my last Warwick Revision Weekend as I graduate this year. Over the last 3 years I have found them to be indispensable and credit them with helping me achieve great grades. Thank you . I will miss being part of it."
The weekend takes place at Conference Park, University of Warwick. Accommodation is in single bedrooms on campus.
Warwick is an award winning conference venue with excellent facilities. Access to the sports facilities, including the swimming pool, are included in the price. The university's central location with excellent transport links makes it easily accessible from all over the UK and Europe. There is ample free car parking.
Travel and directions
For campus maps go to Warwick Campus Maps.